Getting cheap air flights to Spain is very easy, especially if you know what you are looking for.
Because most of us search and purchase tickets online, the number of sites that offer plane tickets is growing every day. There are dozens of websites that you can use to get very cheap international flights. To save time and money, use the ones that I recommend.
Spain is a very popular destination…
Did you know that 80+ million people visit Spain every year? A study by the United Nations World Tourism Organization reveals that Spain is in the top 3 of the most popular destinations in the world along with France and the US.
In fact, 3 Spanish airports (Madrid, Barcelona and Palma de Mallorca) are among the 25 busiest airports in Europe. As a result, many airlines including low cost carriers have entered the Spanish airline market offering incredibly low airfares.
Take advantage of airfare price alerts
Airfare price alerts allow you to track airfare to your favorite worldwide destinations in real time. It’s the easiest, fastest way to find cheap air flights to Spain.
The idea behind it is pretty simple:
- Track a flight.
- Receive an email you when the price drops.
These fare alerts are free, and you can set up as many as you want. So the possibilities are endless depending on your flexibility…
There are 2 ways to track a price:
- Track the specific route you want to travel on. It’s useful when you’re just looking for the lowest possible price regardless of the airline.
- Track the specific flight you want to travel on. It’s useful when you’re looking for the lowest possible on a specific flight itinerary.
Book cheap airfare using mistake fares
As a savvy traveler, you should always be looking out for secret travel deals and airline mistake fares.
So what’s a mistake fare, you ask?
A mistake fare is when an airline or travel agency accidentally lists a pricing mistake and sells an airline ticket significantly cheaper than intended. The trick is to spot flight price mistakes before the airline realizes their error.
How to find mistake fares
The best way to do this is to:
- Follow deal hunters on social media or subscribe to their newsletters and you’ll get some amazing deals right in your inbox. By following them on multiple channels, you lower the risk of missing out on mistake airline fares before they expire. Try with Scott’s Cheap Flights, Secret Flying, Airfare Watch Dog, and Fly4Free to get the latest low price alerts.
- Sign up for email alerts and stay on top of low price warnings.
- Use broad searching tools, like the ones I recommend above, to visualize price trends across a month and act on current airline deals.
- Be flexible with your dates and destinations.
- Book airline mistakes as soon as possible, before the airline notices the mistake and fixes it.
- Check out my tips on how to find very cheap international flights.
Read the fine print
Once you have booked your mistake fare, wait a week to two before making any non-refundable plans (e.g. accommodations or tours), in case the airline or online travel agency cancels your ticket.
On average, between 10-15% of mistake fare bookings ultimately get cancelled. If it happens, you’ll notified within 72 hours (and usually sooner than that).
If you have the PNR code for your reservation, and it’s been a week or two since booking with no cancellation, you can assume that it won’t be cancelled.
The PNR, or Passenger Name Record, is the 6-digit booking reference number associated with any airline flight reservation. A single PNR will contain all flights and passengers on the booking, and usually contains a mixture of letters and numbers (e.g. HX25K).
Use my preferred tools
As I told you before, there is a myriad of online tools that will help you track down cheap air flights to Spain.
Here are my favorites.
I use Google Flights for a large amount of my flight searching because it’s a great starting point.
Some of the major benefits of Google Flights are:
- It is easy to learn and simple to navigate even for beginners.
- It allows you to search from multiple cities at a time.
- It is a great tool to learn how to find cheap flight deals.
- The Google Flights Explore map feature shows a map that gives the prices to many cities in a region.
Thanks to the Google Flights Explore map feature, you can browse through regions quickly. This is more efficient than searching for each airport individually and allows you to find sales with major airlines frequently.
With Skyscanner, you just need to type in the flight details you want to check and it will search almost all the airlines available in the world.
Some of the advantages of Skyscanner are:
- The flight search is fairly fast and comprehensive.
- You can search for flights from one country rather than a specific city or airport.
- Great at looking for very cheap last-minute flights.
- Often finds the lowest flight prices because it searches smaller airlines that other search engines ignore.
Once I have found some cheap air flights to Spain I go over to momondo to check whether the prices on that website are cheaper on that particular dates.
Why is momondo so useful?
- Instead of scrolling through dozens of online travel agencies by checking them one by one simply search them all with momondo. It’s an easier and quicker solution than doing it all by yourself.
- It searches through hundreds of online travel agencies and finds the best and cheapest fares out there.
This article is part of a complete tutorial on how to fly to Spain where you can read all the information you need to organize your flights to the country.
Here is a complete summary of all the guide: